Brian J. Hickey is administrative partner of the firm's Naperville office and a member of the Executive Committee. He has 30 years of legal experience, and focuses his practice on the defense of medical malpractice, construction negligence/defect, nursing home and general civil litigation. Brian has tried more than 30 cases to verdict before juries in the following counties: Cook, DuPage, Kane, Will, Lake, McHenry, Winnebago and LaSalle. In addition to his trial experience, Brian has appeared and argued cases before the appellate courts and the Illinois Supreme Court.
His representations in the area of medical malpractice include the defense of a number of hospitals and physicians. The types of medical specialists he has represented include: internal medicine, emergency medicine, orthopedics, cardiology, nephrology, gastroenterology, radiology, anesthesiology, obstetrics, gynecology, urology, family practice, general surgery and neurosurgery. Brian has made presentations before hospital associations, nursing staffs and other medical personnel to further medical professionals' understanding of key issues in defense and avoidance of malpractice claims.
In the area of construction defect/negligence, Brian has defended a broad array of cases including: roof collapses, roofing failures, lead roof leaching, water infiltration, mold claims, pipe ruptures, stress corrosion cracking, silo failures, steel/welding failures, insulation failures, carpentry issues and sewer systems. He is well versed in the legal/coverage issues unique to construction defense including tenders of defense, reservations of rights, third-party claims, allocation of fault and tolling agreements. Brian's construction negligence defense includes representation of general contractors, subcontractors and independent contractors in defense of wrongful death claims and serious personal injuries, including amputations, loss of vision, fractures, back injuries, paralysis and other varieties of injury claims.
His litigation experience in the areas listed above, regularly involves large potential exposures due to personal injury or property damages. Expert witnesses are utilized; in addition to the medical specialists listed above, Brian also works with pathologists, economists and life care planners. In construction matters, the experts used include: mechanical/structural/civil engineers, metallurgists, experts in specific trades, forensic accountants and economists.
Brian is a frequent speaker and regularly counsels clients through educational programs, lectures and seminars. He is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and DuPage County Bar Association.
- DePaul University, J.D.
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, B.S.
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- Super Lawyer- Medical Malpractice Defense, Construction Litigation (Thomson Reuters)
- Leading Lawyer- Construction, Medical Malpractice Defense, Professional Malpractice Defense (Law Bulletin Publishing Company)
- BV Distinguished Peer Review Rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Brian Hickey and Joe Lombardo Obtained a Not Guilty Verdict in their Defense of Two General Surgeons in Lake County, Illinois
- Brian Hickey & RuthAnne Waldrop Secure Not Guilty Verdict for Defense
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone secure verdict for the Defense
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Win Not Guilty Verdict for Hospital in Medical Malpractice Case
- Brian Hickey Obtains Verdict in Favor of Defendant Physician in Cook County Death Case
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Win Not Guilty Verdict in Dermatology Malpractice Case in Kane County
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Win Not Guilty Verdict in Podiatry Malpractice Case in DuPage County
- Brian Hickey and Jennifer Settelmyer Obtain Not Guilty Verdict in Negligence Claim For Failure To Remove Appendix
- Brian Hickey Obtains Verdict in Favor of Hospital in $2.3 million Negligence Claim
- Brian Hickey and Jennifer Settelmyer Win Not Guilty In Alleged Wrongful Death Malpractice Case
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Obtain Not Guilty Verdict in $3.3 Million Alleged Medical Negligence Action
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Obtain Not Guilty Verdict in Alleged Breast Augmentation Negligence
- Brian Hickey and Jennifer Settelmyer Win Not Guilty Verdict in $3.7 Million Alleged Delay in Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Receive Affirmative Summary Judgment in Train Injury Case
- Brian Hickey and Mark Sansone Receive Reversal of Appellate Court Decision in Mental Health Medical Negligence Case
- Brian Hickey and Brook Carey Receive Not Guilty Verdict in Case Involving Allegations of Hospital Negligence
- Brian Hickey Wins Not Guilty Verdict in $1.2 Million Medical Malpractice Subrogation Case
- Brian Hickey and Brook Carey Obtain Not Guilty Verdict in $9.8 Million Wrongful Death Case