Thomas P. Boylan is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office, chair of the Construction practice group and a member of the Executive Committee. Tom focuses his practice on complex construction litigation matters, including construction-related disputes, personal injury and wrongful death, construction defect and property damage, disputes between contractors and owners and mechanic’s liens. He also has experience in insurance and indemnification issues, the resolutions of which are often at the core of construction litigation. Tom frequently counsels clients on risk transfer, additional insured issues and risk avoidance.
Tom also has extensive experience in product liability and business litigation. In the product liability field, he has represented manufacturers and distributors of numerous products, including industrial metal forming machines, industrial sandblasting systems, electrical circuitry, rail cars, dump trailers and food products. With respect to commercial litigation, Tom has handled lawsuits involving breach of contract, consumer fraud, trade secrets, non-compete agreements, bankruptcy, whistle blower claims, class actions, as well as numerous statutory causes of action including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, ERISA, the Illinois Deceptive Trade Practices Act and the Illinois Trade Secrets Act.
Tom is as an arbitrator for the Circuit Court of Cook County and an instructor for Loyola University of Chicago Law School’s Trial Advocacy Team. He is also a member of several professional organizations including, the American Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel and Illinois State Bar Association.
- Loyola University Chicago, J.D.
- University of Illinois - Chicago, B.A.
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- BTI Client Service All-Stars
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Super Lawyer (Thomson Reuters)
- Leading Lawyer (Law Bulletin Publishing Company)
- Tom Boylan and Ehren Bilshausen Successfully Defend General Contractor in Construction Injury Case
- Tom Boylan and Erik Andersen Obtain Dismissal of Indemnification Claim Against Construction Contractor
- Tom Boylan Receives Dismissal in First Impression Case
- Tom Boylan Provides Successful Defense for General Contractor in Fatality Case
- Tom Boylan and Ehren Bilshausen Secure Settlement During Three-Week Catastrophic Injury Trial
- Tom Boylan Obtains Summary Judgment for Business Owner
- Tom Boylan Obtains Summary Judgment in Shooting Fatality Case
- Tom Boylan is Granted Summary Judgment in Case Involving Carbon Monoxide Deaths
- Tom Boylan Receives Not Guilty Verdict in Wall Collapse Case
- Tom Boylan Receives Dismissal for Client, Engineer in Highway Fatality Case
- Tom Boylan Reaches Settlement Following Trial in Construction Case
- Tom Boylan Reaches Settlement During Trial of Class Action Train Collision Case
- Tom Boylan Wins Favorable Verdict for Defendant in Non-Compete Agreement Case
- Tom Boylan Wins Summary Judgment for General Contractor in Amputation Case
- Tom Boylan Wins Dismissal for General Contractor in Lack of Jurisdiction Death Case
- Tom Boylan Successfully Defends Producer of Ground Beef in Alleged Wrongful Death due to E.Coli Exposure
- Tom Boylan Wins $2.5 Million Dollar Verdict in General Contractor Contribution Claim Against Employer
- Tom Boylan Successfully Defends Third-Party Complaint Dismissed Against Seat Manufacturer
- Tom Boylan Successfully Defends Case Involving the Application of the Discovery Rule to the Statute of Limitations
- Tom Boylan Receives Favorable Verdict in Deep Tunnel Project Construction Case
- Tom Boylan Receives Favorable Verdict in Non-Compete Clause Employment Contract Case
- Tom Boylan Receives Dismissal in Bus Rollover Case
- Cassiday Schade Congratulates 16 Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Tom Boylan is Featured in Leading Lawyers 2019 Real Estate Edition
- The Supreme Court of Illinois Gives Unexpected New Year's Gift to Residential Contractors
- Tom Boylan Named as BTI Client Service All-Star for 2017
News, Press Release
- Partner Thomas P. Boylan Named to the BTI Client Service All-Star Team for Second Consecutive Year
Media Mention, News, Press Release
- Tom Boylan Named to the 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star Team
- Partner Thomas P. Boylan Named to the 2014 BTI Client Service All-Star Team
- Illinois Appellate Court Broadens Scope Of Anti-Indemnity Act To Protect Illinois Contractors
In a decision that benefits construction companies doing business in Illinois, the Illinois Appellate Court recently published a decision broadening the scope of the Illinois Construction Contract for Negligence Act, more commonly known as the Illinois Anti-Indemnity Act. The decision is also a...
- Undocumented Aliens on the Jobsite
- Tom Boylan Named "2019 Client Service All-Star" by BTI Consulting Group